*This is a repost of a blog entry I did back in 2007. I fixed it up a bit and I am reposting it now because I thought it would be fun to spend this week doing a series of these. I have a few done for other decades as well but I wanted to fill in the blanks and put them all together to use as a scrapbooking resources. Hope you are enjoying Retro Week!
Today, I bring you the 1970s!
I was born in 1969 so I can relate to most of the stuff on this list. The ones in bold are things I remember or did as a child of the Seventies.
The Seventies! (1970-1979)
- You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked.I don't know if I had this or I just remember it from a friend's house but I thought it was really cool. I remember being disappointed that the stethoscope didn't work when I bought my kids a doctor's kit.
- You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. don't even remember banana seats but I did have the plastic basket.
- You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. I actually used the skates that you strapped on to your shoes and they could adjust to about any size.
- You owned a "Slip-n-Slide",on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. - yep!
- You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) - nope.
- You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island - I didn't watch it.
- You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.Yes, yes, and yes! I though knickers were very cool - lol!
- You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. I did get that for Christmas one year.
- You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits. Oh my goodness, yes I did! They were my favorite Barbie dolls and I had a big crush on Donnie! I used to watch the tv show also.
- You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. I don't think so.
- You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the
buckle). Yes, I think they were called "exercise sandals" because they were supposed to give your legs more definition - that is just weird!
- You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson! Not really.
- You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink.! - I do remember going to the roller rink with the boys and girls in my 6th grade class and there was some kissing there...but it didn't involve me!
- You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. YEAH!
how on earth did I walk in those things?
- You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie," not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill". People sometimes thought you were a boy. (I hope not!)
This is me at age 9 with my "pixie"
and here I am with the Dorothy Hamill look (and my mom has it also!)
I still like that haircut - wish it was in style now.
- Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. - I don't know if I had an actual Holly Hobbie sleeping bag but I did have a Holly Hobbie slumber party for my 9th birthday! Can you believe I saved the actual invitation?
and here I am getting ready for the big Holly Hobbie party!
- You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. - it didn't ever tip over, but I do remember wondering if it would.
- Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. Even the boys kept combs in their back pockets!
- You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. No.
- You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. With the thermos inside! I did have a metal lunchbox.
- You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. No, but we did fight over which Charlie's Angel we would get to be when we played!
- You had Star Wars action figures, too! - no but my cousin did! And we would play Star Wars and I was also Princess Lea.
- It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! No.
- You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy..?" Not really, but I actually remember all of those guys and thinking they were cute.
- You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. Yes on Grease and I still know ALL the words!
- You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. My mom was the decoupage queen! She made a lot of cute stuff with it!
- You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! No on that one.
- You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. Can you believe that?! That was how you had to do it.
- You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics. lol!
- You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs. I had forgotten about these but I did have heart shoelaces!
- You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. Yes!
- You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned. Guilty!
- You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip gloss till it almost dripped off. Totally!
If you are a child of the seventies you will probably remember wallpaper like this - it was flocked! And that huge thing I am standing in front of was our stereo!
and you might have even worn a dress made of quilted fabric like this one! Thanks Mom for making sure I was fashionable in the 70's!
Some other fun sites with information about the 1970s: