*This is a repost of a blog entry I did back in 2006. I fixed it up a bit and I am reposting it now because I thought it would be fun to spend this week doing a series of these. I have a few done for other decades as well but I wanted to fill in the blanks and put them all together to use as a scrapbooking resources. Hope you are enjoying Retro Week!
Today, I bring you the 1980s!
My senior year of high school (September 1986)
I was born in 1969 so I can relate to most of the stuff on this list. The ones in bold are things I remember or did as a teenager in the 1980s.
You Know You Grew Up In The 80's if:
- You watched the Pound Puppies.
- Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
- You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.
- You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.
- If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock" (but it was with my younger brother. My daughter has one of the DVD sets and she loves it.)
- You had plastic streamers on your handle bars
- You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales" (Woo ooh!
- It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons. I loved Scooby Doo, Grape Ape, Captain Caveman and Schmoo :)
- You wore a ponytail on the side of your head. - I'm pretty sure I did this.
- You saw the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the big screen...and still know the turtles names.
- You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side. I also remember prarie skirts and metal drop waist belts.
- You played the game "MASH" (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House) don't kids play this anymore?
- You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it. And don't forget about Sergio Valentes (sp?) and Gloria Vanderbelt jeans!
- You remember reading Tales of a fourth grade nothing and all The Ramona books. Great books!
- You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us...head-to-toe)
- You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted. -I got his thriller album (LP) as a Christmas present when I was 12 and bought his BAD album on a cassette tape in college. I also watched his Billie Jean dance on live television and saw him do the moonwalk for the first time.
- You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
- You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pailkids in the schoolyard.
- You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes.
- After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?" - loved this show!
- You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"
- You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.
- You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.
- You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.
- Don't worry, be happy - I remember that one also.
- You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks. It was only 2 pairs, but still guilty!
- You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by younger hip members of the family) Why can't we still do this? lol!
- You remember boom boxes and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that. - I never walked around with one!
- You remember watching both Gremlins movies.
- You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!!"
- You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
- You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB.
- You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART. - Totally! In fact I still like Bon Jovi and I went to his concert a few years ago!
- You just sang those words to yourself.
- You remember watching Magic vs. Bird. -those were the days!
- Homemade Levi shorts.. (the shorter the better)
- You remember when mullets were cool!
- You had a mullet! (Hubby did - but neither one of us knew it was a mullet at the time)
- You still sing "We are the World" - it has been known to happen!
- You tight rolled your jeans. - why can't we still do this? lol!
- You owned a bannana clip.
- You remember "Where's the Beef?"
- You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?" lol! Had to explain it to my kids so I could still use it.
- You had big hair and you knew how to use it. -as big as my thin hair could go!
Please note my matching cuff bracelet and BIG yellow earrings! This was in 1986.
- You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you! - Totally!
Some other fun sites with information about the 1980s: